Merilyn is a professional artist and teacher in most media, with more than forty years experience. She trained initially at the National Art School, and later with Allan Fizzell (oils), Greg Hansell (pastels) and Joshua Smith and Yve Close (portraiture). Her career covers numerous exhibitions, awards and commissions and her works are in the UK, Malaysia, USA, NZ and Spain. She provides small-group tuition and workshops throughout the year for all skill and experience levels, and hosts a non-instructional life sketch club at her studio at Mt Rankin, near Bathurst.
- Awarded scholarship to National Art School
- Winner, Lend Lease Bicentennial Award
- Winner, Portrait, Ryde Art Awards
- Winner, Mixed Media, Drummoyne Art Awards
- Winner, Portrait, Parramatta Foundation Week Awards
- Winner, Portrait, Castle Hill Agriculture Show
- Winner, Peoples Choice, Baulkham Hills Orange Blossom Festival
- Winner, Mixed Media, Baulkham Hills Orange Blossom Festival
- Winner, Best of Show, Parramatta Art Society Awards
- Winner, Parramatta Foundation Week Award
- Winner, Grenfell Festival, Henry Lawson Award
- Winner, Mixed Media, Rylstone
- Finalist, Mortimer Prize for portraiture, 2008
- Finalist, Mortimer Prize for drawing, 2009
- Numerous Commendations
- Exhibition, Australian High Commission, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Exhibition, Southlands Gallery, Canberra
- Exhibition, “Elsinor”, Warrawee
- Exhibition, The Private Gallery, Surrey Hills
- Exhibition, L & S Gallery, Bathurst, 1999
- Exhibition, Porters on Bentinck, Bathurst
- Many portrait commissions
Merilyn believes in promoting an understanding of good proportion (seeing correctly), composition and tonal values. She therefore provides the thorough grounding in the basic elements of making a painting which is essential for engendering capable creativity and originality. She successfully employs the principle that a demonstration is worth a thousand words.
Classes are not formally structured, in that individuals start at a level appropriate to their prior training and experience then, when working freely, students can experience the joy of colour and design in their medium of choice.
There are in excess of 70 paintings in her studio.
Studio & Gallery:
72 Mount Rankin Rd, Mount Rankin
Tel. 6337 1799 or 0458570400 for appointments outside Arts Trail days.